Generic drug of the therapeutic class: Analgesics
active ingredients: Acetylsalicylic acid
laboratory: Bayer Healthcare
Box of 20
Symptomatic treatment of mild to moderate pain and / or febrile conditions.
Dosage ALKA SELTZER 324 mg Effervescent tablet Box of 20
Drink immediately after complete dissolution of the effervescent tablet in a large glass of water.
This presentation is reserved for adults and children from 20 kg (approximately from 6 years).
In children, it is imperative to respect the dosages defined according to the weight of the child and to choose a suitable presentation. Approximate ages by weight are given for information.
The recommended daily dose of acetylsalicylic acid is approximately 60 mg / kg / day, divided into 4 or 6 doses, approximately 15 mg / kg every 6 hours or 10 mg / kg every 4 hours.
For children weighing 20 to 26 kg (approximately 6 to 10 years), the dosage is 1 unit per dose, to be renewed if necessary after 6 hours, without exceeding 4 units per day.
For children weighing 27 to 36 kg (approximately 8 to 12 years), the dosage is 1 unit per dose, to be renewed if necessary after 4 hours, without exceeding 6 units per day .
For children weighing 37 to 50 kg (approximately 11 to 15 years), the dosage is 2 units per dose, to be renewed if necessary after 6 hours, without exceeding 8 units per day .
For adults and children weighing more than 50 kg (starting at about 15 years of age): the maximum recommended daily dose is 3 g aspirin or 9 units per day.
The usual dosage is 2 units at 324 mg, to be renewed if necessary after at least 4 hours, without exceeding 9 units per day.
For older subjects :
The maximum recommended daily dosage is 2 g of aspirin, or 6 units per day. The usual dosage is 1 unit at 324 mg, to be renewed if necessary after at least 4 hours, without exceeding 6 units per day .
Frequency of administration
Systematic catches prevent pain or fever oscillations:
The intakes should be regularly spaced, including at night, preferably 6 hours, and at least 4 hours: comply with the dosage specified above.
Duration of the treatment
The patient should be informed not to use acetylsalicylic acid more than 3 days in case of fever and 5 days in case of pain without the advice of a doctor or dentist.
This medicine is CONTRAINDICATED in the following situations:
Hypersensitivity to acetylsalicylic acid or to any of the excipients,
· History of asthma caused by salicylates or substances of similar activity, including nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs,
· Pregnancy beyond 24 weeks of amenorrhea (5 months) for doses greater than 100 mg per day (see section on Pregnancy and lactation ),
· Evolving gastroduodenal ulcer,
· Any constitutional or acquired haemorrhagic disease,
· Haemorrhagic risk,
· Severe liver failure,
· Severe renal insufficiency,
· Severe uncontrolled heart failure,
· In combination with methotrexate at doses greater than 20 mg / week (see section 4.5 ), and for anti-inflammatory doses ≥ 1 g per dose and / or ≥ 3 g per day) or for analgesic or antipyretic doses ≥ 500 mg per dose and / or <3 g per day),
· Combination with oral anticoagulants for anti-inflammatory doses of acetylsalicylic acid (≥1 g per dose and / or ≥3 g daily), or for analgesic or antipyretic doses (≥500 mg per dose and / or <3 g per day) in a patient with a history of peptic ulcer (see section Interactions with other medicinal products and other forms of interaction ).
Alka Seltzer side effects
· Gastrointestinal effects:
o abdominal pain,
o obvious digestive haemorrhages (hematemesis, melena ...) or occult, responsible for iron deficiency anemia. These haemorrhages are all the more frequent as the dosage is higher,
o gastric ulcers and perforations.
· Effects on the central nervous system:
o headache, vertigo,
o feeling of decreased hearing,
which are usually the mark of an overdose.
· Hematological effects:
o haemorrhagic syndromes (epistaxis, gingivorragia, purpura, ...) with increased bleeding time. This action persists for 4 to 8 days after stopping acetylsalicylic acid. It can create a hemorrhagic risk, in case of surgical intervention.
· Hypersensitivity reaction:
o urticaria, skin reactions, anaphylactic reactions, asthma, Quincke's edema.
· Reye's syndrome in children (see Warnings and precautions for use ).