Generic drug of the therapeutic class: Pneumology
Active ingredients: Dextromethorphan
Bottle (+ measuring cup) of 125 ml
Symptomatic treatment of uncompromising coughs.
Dosage DEXTROMETHORPHANE ARROW Child 0, 1% Syrup Bottle (+ measuring cup) of 125 ml
RESERVED FOR CHILDREN over 20 kg (from 6 years old).
A 5 ml dose of the measuring cup contains 5 mg of dextromethorphan hydrobromide.
Symptomatic treatment should be short (a few days) and limited to the time of coughing.
In the absence of other medicinal products providing dextromethorphan or any other central antitussive, the daily dose of dextromethorphan not to be exceeded is 1 mg / kg in children .
The usual unit dosage in children is 0.25 mg / kg, which is indicative:
- child from 40 to 50 kg (about 12 to 15 years) : 2 doses of 5 ml of the measuring cup per dose, to be renewed if necessary after 4 hours, without exceeding 8 doses of 5 ml per measuring cup .
- child from 30 to 40 kg (about 10 to 12 years) : 1 dose of 5 ml of the measuring cup per dose, to be renewed after 4 hours if necessary, without exceeding 6 doses of 5 ml of the measuring cup .
- child from 20 to 30 kg (about 6 to 10 years) : 1 dose of 5 ml of the measuring cup per dose, to be renewed after 4 hours if necessary, without exceeding 4 doses of 5 ml of the measuring cup .
The catches must be spaced at least 4 hours apart.
Approximate ages by weight are indicative.
This medicine is contraindicated in the following situations:
- allergy to one of the constituents,
- respiratory failure,
- cough of the asthmatic,
- association with MAOIs (see interactions).
Breast-feeding: Dextromethorphan passes into breast milk. Some cases of hypotonia and respiratory pauses have been reported in infants after ingestion by mothers of other central antitussives at supratherapeutic doses. This risk has not been evaluated for dextromethorphan. Therefore, this antitussive should not be administered during breastfeeding.
NOT RECOMMENDED :
This drug is generally not recommended in combination with alcohol (see interactions).
Side Effects Dextromethorphane Arrow Child
Linked to dextromethorphan :
- possibility of constipation, drowsiness,
- rarely: dizziness, nausea, vomiting, bronchospasm, allergic skin reactions.