A blue sky without the least cloud, a radiant sun, . a beautiful summer day should be synonymous with happiness. And yet, when the summer temperatures reach highs and do not want to go down, even during the night, this "heat wave" can become difficult to live. Especially if the heat wave persists.
What is a heatwave?
We are talking about a heat wave when we attend "a very hot day and night for at least three consecutive days . The definition of the heat wave is based on two parameters: heat and duration.
Temperatures (too) high weigh on our body which, without taking advantage of periods of coolness to recover, is then strongly solicited permanently to maintain its proper functioning. Its thermal regulation capabilities can be compromised or even exceeded.
Especially in people who are not used to heat, who are physically weak, fragile or highly exposed to heat, the heat wave can cause complications such as heat stroke, sunstroke, hyperthermia, circulatory collapse. or dehydration.
People at risk
In case of heat wave, everyone must remain vigilant and take precautions (see our tips below). However, some people are particularly at risk, including:
- Infants and young children (especially under 4 years old)
- Older people (especially those over the age of 65)
- People particularly exposed to the heat of their job, such as construction workers, outdoor gardeners, etc.
- People weakened by illness (cardiac, pulmonary, diabetes, obesity), as well as people confined to bed at the time of the heat wave.
- . As well as anyone who is not aware of the danger. Namely also that some drugs can influence the body's reaction to heat.
But what to do in the event of a heatwave to protect yourself? Discover the hot weather plan and our 10 tips to live the best days (and nights) of great heat.
SUMMER IN GOOD HEALTH
Heat wave and hydration, tanning and sun creams, sunburn and sunstroke, travel tips ...
All you need to know to spend the summer in good health!
Read also :
> Heat stroke: from prevention to treatment
> How to protect children from the sun