A single test can not necessarily lead to definitive conclusions about the patient's fertility. It may be necessary to carry out several spermograms, at least 3 months apart, in order to check the results.
For information, here are the "normal" values when analyzing sperm:
- Sperm volume: between 2 and 5 ml.
- sperm pH: between 7.2 and 7.8.
- Number of spermatozoa per milliliter of ejaculate: between 20 million and 250 million (a minimum of 40 million per ejaculate).
- Sperm mobility: In the laboratory, we study the mobility of spermatozoa after ejaculation, then an hour later ...
- Vitality of the spermatozoa: at least 75% of them live on ejaculation.
- Sperm morphology: at least 30% at normal morphology.
- Zinc assay : more than 2.4 μmol per ejaculate.
- Determination of fructose: at least 13 μmol per ejaculate.
- Citric acid dosage : more than 52 μmol per ejaculate.
- Leukocyte count: less than 1 million per milliliter of ejaculate.
Sources and notes: Fivfrance, 2014.