There are two main types of leukemia depending on the mode of installation and the speed of evolution.
> Acute leukaemias which are, as their name suggests, sudden onset. They concern young people in particular, although they can affect all age groups. Their faster evolution leads to more urgent medical care.
> Chronic leukaemias, which are slower and more insidious, affecting mainly elderly people.
Depending on the moment of differentiation in which, in the bone marrow, the initial abnormality occurs, it may be:
- A lymphoid leukemia : the cell was destined to become a lymphocyte.
- From a myeloid leukemia : the cell was destined to become a polynuclear or a monocyte.
The main types of leukemia are:
- Acute lymphoblastic leukemia or ALL . With LAL B or LAL T depending on whether the lymphocyte was destined to become a B lymphocyte or a T lymphocyte.
- Acute myeloblastic leukemia (= myeloid) or AML.
- Chronic myeloid leukemia or CML .
- Chronic lymphocytic leukemia or LLC .
Want to react, share your experience or ask a question? See you in our FORUMS Cancer or A doctor answers you!