Generic drug of the therapeutic class: Gastro-Entero-Hepatology
Active ingredients: Tincture of benzoic opium, Corresponding amount in: Opium, Benzoic acid (E210), Anis, Camphor, Alcohol
laboratory: Merck Family Medication
45 ml bottle
Symptomatic treatment of acute diarrhea in adults.
The treatment does not dispense dietary measures and rehydration if it is necessary.
The importance of rehydration by oral or intravenous rehydration solution should be adapted according to the intensity of the diarrhea, the age and the particularities of the patient (associated diseases).
Dosage PAREGORIC ELIXIR LIPHA 50% Oral solution 45 ml bottle
RESERVED FOR THE ADULT.
1 to 2 teaspoons, 1 to 4 times a day, to dilute in a little water.
This medicine is CONTRAINDICATED in the following situations:
- Hypersensitivity to one of the components.
- Acute attacks of ulcerative colitis (risk of colectasis).
- Breast-feeding: The opioid alkaloids present in opium pass into breast milk; therefore, taking this medicine is contraindicated during breastfeeding.
- Fructose intolerance, glucose-galactose malabsorption syndrome or sucrase-isomaltase deficiency, due to the presence of sucrose.
NOT RECOMMENDED :
- THIS MEDICATION IS GENERALLY NOT RECOMMENDED DURING PREGNANCY: There are no reliable data on teratogenesis in animals. Clinically, there are currently no data of sufficient relevance to evaluate the possible malformative or foetotoxic effect of opium powder when administered during pregnancy. As a result, the use of this drug is not recommended during pregnancy.
- This medicine contains 1.9 g of alcohol per teaspoon. It is not recommended in patients with liver disease, alcoholism, epilepsy, as well as in pregnant women.
- This drug is not recommended in combination with drugs causing an antabuse reaction with alcohol (disulfiram, certain antibacterials, some antifungals), CNS depressants (antidepressants, antihistamines, anxiolytics, neuroleptics, opioids, certain antihypertensives), drugs intended diabetes treatment (chlorpropamide, glibenclamide, glipizide, insulin, metformin, hypoglycemic sulfonamides).
Paregoric side effects Elixir Lipha
In high doses: constipation, nausea, vomiting, epigastric pain, somnolence, skin reactions, respiratory disorders, central nervous system depression.