Generic Drug Therapeutic Class: Neurology-Psychiatry
active ingredients: Trihexyphenidyl
Box of 20
- Parkinson disease.
Parkinsonian syndromes induced by neuroleptics.
Dosage PARKINANE LP 5 mg Prolonged-release capsule Box of 20
- The doses vary according to the subjects.
- The optimal dosage will be achieved by gradual increase starting with a dose of 2 mg.
- The daily dose of trihexyphenidyl can be administered in a single dose:
. in adults, the doses vary from 4 to 15 mg without exceeding 20 mg per day,
. in the elderly, do not exceed 10 mg daily.
- In elderly patients who may be more sensitive to the action of parasympatholytic substances, the dosage should be adjusted very precisely.
- Allergy known to trihexyphenidyl or one of the constituents of this drug.
- Prostatic adenoma.
- Decompensated heart disease.
- Due to the presence of sucrose, this drug is contraindicated in cases of fructose intolerance, glucose-galactose malabsorption syndrome, or sucrase-isomaltase deficiency.
NOT RECOMMENDED :
- Pregnancy: animal data are insufficient to conclude. During the first trimester of pregnancy, clinical data for trihexyphenidyl, to date, although limited, do not support an increase in malformation risk. In the newborn, treatment with trihexyphenidyl at the end of pregnancy may be responsible for effects related to its atropine properties (tachycardia, hyperexcitability, urinary retention, delay in the emission of meconium). Given these data, it is best to avoid using trihexyphenidyl during pregnancy, regardless of the term.
- Breast-feeding: because of the atropine effect, breast-feeding is not recommended.
Parkinane LP side effects
- At the doses usually used in therapeutics, undesirable effects, most often atropine type, the most common are: dryness of the mouth, accommodation disorder, ocular hypertonia, micturition disorders, constipation.
- Behavioral disorders such as hallucinations, mental confusion and agitation have been reported, particularly in the elderly.
- There have been some rare reports of paralytic ileus and suppurative parotitis secondary to dry mouth and rash.