Generic drug of the therapeutic class: Anesthesia, resuscitation, analgesics
active ingredients: Thiopental sodium
laboratory: Hospira Enterprises BV
Powder for solution for injection
Box of 50 vials of 1 g
Induction and maintenance of intravenous general anesthesia (alone or in combination).
Dosage PENTOTHAL 1 g Powder for solution for injection Box of 50 vials of 1 g
- This product should be administered only by physicians specialized in anesthesia-resuscitation or emergency medicine and familiar with the use of anesthetics, or under their control, and having all necessary anesthesia-resuscitation equipment.
- The recommendations of the scholarly societies concerned must be respected, especially when used in an out-of-hospital situation (emergency situation or medical transport).
Administration mode :
The dosage of thiopental is individual. It is therefore necessary to find, by practicing the injection, the minimum anesthetic dose for each patient, which requires a very slow injection rate. In certain resistant subjects, it is not necessary to insist on obtaining anesthesia in high doses, but to continue it with a volatile or gaseous anesthetic.
- In adults:
. induction : 3 to 5 mg / kg with possibility of successive injections of 50 to 100 mg every 30 seconds until anesthesia is obtained.
Average total dose of 0.3 to 1 g.
. maintenance : reinjection of decreasing doses on demand. The total dose may range from 0.75 to 1 g for anesthesia of 40 to 60 minutes. As a general rule, the 1g dose should not be exceeded to avoid delayed awakenings.
- In children:
. induction : Thiopental solution, diluted to 2.5% in water for injection, is injected slowly at 30 second intervals for a dose of 4 to 5 mg / kg.
Average total dose of 0.1 to 0.5 g.
. maintenance : reinjection, on demand, of decreasing doses of thiopental diluted to 2.5%. For example, the maintenance dose for a child of 30 to 50 kg is 25 to 50 mg injected on demand.
- In the elderly subject:
It is advisable to reduce the dosage.
This medicine is contraindicated in the following cases:
- hypersensitivity to barbiturates,
- respiratory obstruction,
- severe acute asthma, asthmatic status,
NOT RECOMMENDED :
This medicine is generally not recommended in the following cases:
- cardiovascular failure,
- hypotension, shock,
- Addison's disease,
- renal or hepatic insufficiency,
- severe anemia,
Breast-feeding: As the passage through the breast milk is not known, suspend breastfeeding for 24 hours after anesthesia.
Association advised against : alcohol.
Pentothal side effects
- hypersensitivity including anaphylactic shock,
- involuntary muscle movements,
coughing, sneezing, broncho-laryngospasm particularly during the induction period,
- low blood pressure,
- Cardiac arrythmia,
- respiratory depression,
- nausea, postoperative vomiting,
- dizziness, confusion, amnesia, headache,
- Moderate and transient functional liver disturbances. Exceptionally hepatitis.