The symptoms of early puberty are the same as those of puberty. With the difference that they appear earlier: before 8 years for girls, and before 10 years for boys.
These symptoms are:
- The growth of hair in the armpits and pubic area.
- Increase of breast volume at little girls.
- The increase in the size of the penis and testicles in boys.
- The transformation of the voice in boys: this is what is called the "moulting".
When to consult a doctor ?
If your child who is less than 8-9 years old, has acne-like pimples, a sudden development of down in the pubis or testicles, or even a real hair; if your daughter's breasts develop, starting with areolas that grow ...
Faced with all these symptoms, you must make an appointment with the pediatrician.
This one after consultation, will guide you possibly to an endocrinologist or will prescribe complementary examinations to carry out to look for a precocious puberty.
To confirm early puberty, the doctor will consider a number of tests including:
- A blood test to find the levels of hormones circulating in the blood.
- Radiographs to estimate what is called bone age (by radios, the doctor analyzes on the bones, growth cartilages).
- An MRI of the brain to search for a pathological cause (very rare).
- Ultrasounds of the pelvis to determine the size of the ovaries or the uterus, in the girl.