Every year, about 800, 000 people commit suicide around the world, which corresponds to a suicide every 40 seconds.
Suicide in numbers:
- 1 in 20 French people have already attempted suicide *
- The number of suicides in France has decreased in the last 20 years. In 2011, there were 10, 524 suicides compared to 11, 403 in 1990.
- Nevertheless, the number of deaths by suicide is almost three times higher than that of deaths by road accident in France! For comparison: in 2014, the number of deaths by road accident was 3, 388 ** in France. And we must not forget that not all suicides are declared as such: in some cases of death by traffic or drug use, for example, it is impossible to say with certainty whether an "accident" or possibly a suicide.
- If the majority of suicide deaths are counted among men (three quarters!), The suicide attempts are mostly made by women. In particular, young women are more often subject to suicidal thoughts. According to estimates, the number of suicide attempts is ten times higher than the number of actual suicides.
- A person who "announces" a suicide attempt will not finally pass the act? This is a misconception: in 8 out of 10 cases, the suicidal person has expressed his intention to kill himself before.
* The Weekly Epidemiological Bulletin of the Institute for Public Health Surveillance (InVS) of December 13, 2011